May 20, 2007

Forgive and forget?

You know that old saying, "Forgive and forget?"

Well, I think we all know that sometimes that is easier
said than done.But now there's more reason than ever to
make an effort to clear any resentments or grudges that
we may still harbor over someone else's past actions or
old events.

It turns out that according to recent research, such
emotions as resentment, bitterness, anger, and fear all
have physical consequences, like increased blood pressure
and hormonal changes. And when these emotions are not
resolved, it can lead to a state of chronic stress,
leaving the door open to other illnesses.

Forgiveness has actually more to do with freeing
yourself from harmful energies that can affect your
health and well-being than letting someone "off the hook"
or approving of their past actions. As they say,
"Do you want to be bitter or better?"
And it's also important to forgive yourself, if there's
anything you may be blaming yourself for.

One good place to start is to try this simple exercise.
Sit down with a pen and paper and write down all the things
that you consider you have done wrong. Read through the list
and then say, "I did the best I could with what I knew at that
time.I now forgive myself and set myself free." Then burn or
shred the list. Now do the same for any other people who may
have hurt you.Insert each name into the statement: "John did
the best he could with what he knew at that time.
I now forgive John and set myself free."

Something that I draw inspiration from is something that
you might find helpful too. It's called "Discourse on Loving Kindness"
and is attributed to Buddha:

Let your love flow outward through the universe,
To its height, its depth, its broad extent,
A limitless love, without hatred or enmity.
Then as you stand or walk,
Sit or lie down,
As long as you are awake,
Strive for this with a one-pointed mind;
Your life will bring heaven to earth.

Until next time,
T.Draganova

No comments: